Thursday, July 17, 2008

Wrap-Up on the Puritans

I started this blog several weeks ago by writing about six gifts that the Puritans have left us. Over these past few weeks, I have written about each of these gifts in the hope that a few readers might be encouraged to pick up a Puritan book or two and discover for themselves the riches therein. My own appetite for the Puritans has been whetted as well.

It seems only fitting to end a series on the Puritans by sharing this link with you. When I came across it, my reading docket was already long... but who's to say a calendar proposed for 2008 couldn't be used in 2009? Or half-way through 2008? So I hope this proves helpful.

Let me especially commend to you The Valley of Vision, a book of Puritan prayers. My own soul has been greatly nourished by reading and praying these prayers, so saturated in biblical truth that they often seem to express better than I the things I ought to be praying. Sovereign Grace Ministries also has a CD of worship music inspired by the book -- though no substitute for the book, it does make a good companion.

If you were looking for a starting place in approaching the Puritans, I would recommend starting where that reading calendar starts: Richard Sibbes' The Bruised Reed. It is short and approachable (something not always true of Puritan works), and I have found in it much of Christ's balm for a wounded conscience.

HT: TC

No comments: